“1. Do not date a boy who does not care what your favourite song is. The boy who does not care what melodies ignite your heart strings with love and wonder while staring at passing street lights on the last train home, will not care if it’s 2 a.m. and your heart is breaking.
2. Do not let anyone fold you up like last winters tattered scarf and put you away with the others in a neatly labeled box. Even when there’s thunder and the sky is crying, you are your mum’s favourite summer dress. You are to wear yourself like you believe it.
3. We are all stories. Write yours how you want. Make today’s chapter about purposely taking the wrong bus and discovering a tiny blue tea shop, or folding origami paper hearts over and over on your window sill. Just make sure it’s something you’d enjoy reading.
4. I will always try to save you.
5. Someday you will be 19 and lost and heartbroken and you will think about a place you’ve seen on TV or heard or read about in a book or seen a picture of. You will feel your heart drop into your stomach. Go there. For a day, a month, forever, but it’s important that you go.
6. The world is so beautiful. Do not let the slumped over homeless man outside the convenience store or the stories of guns and bombs on the television let you believe otherwise. We are all so lost. All of us. We all show it in different ways. I write bad poems. Others start wars. There is no inherent evil, only good people searching too hard.
7. I love everything about you.
8. Money turns people into liars and emotional ghosts. School grades are an inaccurate representation of you. Measure your life’s worth in how many times you’ve nearly lost your life to laughter, how many books you’ve closed with happy tears in your eyes, people whose lives you’ve brought joy to, marshmallows eaten, or countries visited.
9. Don’t ever let anyone tell you to stop crying. Cry if you want to. It’s okay. You’re allowed.
10. My best friend once told me that the most important decision he had ever made was to love everyone and everything. He’s the only person I’ve ever known to have a viewable aura of light around him. Don’t forget to love this world, to love people. Be light. You are already mine.”
— 10 Things I Will Tell My Daughter
“All right then leave me…”
“…But I love you”
“Isn’t that enough? There’s nothing bigger than love, is it?
After that I hanged up the phone, because you told me you’ll call me in a few minutes. It’s been an hour. I don’t mind waiting for you, but I need you; I guess you don’t…
Anyway, I knew you’ll probably wouldn’t call, so I decided to stay up all night in case you did. In case you needed me; you didn’t…
Since I had nothing else to do I took a piece of paper from an old notebook and an old pen of mine. I wrote down:
You left me thinking all night and there’re a lot of things bigger than love. There are things that can’t go away so easily, things that can’t be forgotten.
We learned to love and be loved. We got used to it until it came a point in which love became just a verb… just a verb.
Remembering, in the other hand, IT IS just a verb, but when a memory comes at the most random time it is so powerful that becomes a feeling, an emotion you can’t get rid off. Just when you thought you forgot; just when you thought you got over it, the memory comes: “guess who’s back bitches?”
I am not with you because I love you, although I must admit I do love you, and it is an important factor. I am with you because I want to continue making new memories with you. Untouchable memories no matter how many years had pass, or how much we’d changed.
I am with you because I don’t want those memories we’ve created to become simple flashbacks of a good time we’ve spent together.
I don’t want you to become my eternal love. You are not my eternal love. I want you to be my eternal adventure. Not as a game. As an adventure in which, if I fail, I die. If I fail you, I’ll die.
You were a mystery. You still are. I started to spent time with you with the intention of understanding you. As time passed by I started to admire the big things, like the way you were when I was around, and the little things, like the way you looked at me when we were alone. Later on I decided that I wanted that one of your kisses became, as many other things, another memory of us.
Right at this moment I want that those kisses, those long hugs after a long time of not seeing each other, those beautiful eyes of you, become our endless memory.
THAT is more powerful than love. More powerful than any other thing we think that matters the most.
(I’m still waiting for you)
(I need you)